Here are some depressing facts about Hepatitis C in Egypt.
- Egypt has the [highest HCV prevelance worldwide|http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?issn=07374038&uids=12644558], rural areas have the highest level of infection.
- In the rural areas of the Delta, prevelance rate of positive HCV antibodies is around [24%|http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?issn=00359203&uids=9231192]. Cairo; 19%.
- It is the [most common cause of liver disease in Egypt|http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?issn=00029637&uids=12452500].
- In Egypt people who did the following are in a [higher risk for infection|http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?issn=02709139&uids=11124843]:
** previous injection chemotherapy for Bilharziasis*,
** blood transfusion,
** repeated use of syringes and needles.
- [91%|http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?issn=00221899&uids=10950762] of Egyptian HCV carriers are carrying genotype 4. Which has a poor response to therapy, compared to other 6 genotypes.