Warning! This post is very old and may contain information or opinions that are no longer valid or embarrassing.
What if you want to cross the Aqaba with your windsurf to reach Saudi?
photo by Shearwater.
Here are some numbers:
- Distance from Club Dahab to a straight line point to the other side of the gulf of Aqaba is 26 Km (minumum distance = 25 Km). This is actually the widest point of the gulf of Aqaba.
- Distance from MoonBeach to a straight line point to the other side of the gulf of Suez is 23 Km
In both cases:
- Visible horizon in case of excellent visibility would be 4.7Km (if your height above sea level is approx = 1.7m)
- This means a person with binoculars should be watching you from a height slightly above 52 meters above sea level, to monitor your progress and send help if necessary. Radio communication is important.
It will probably take you to cross the Aqaba:
- If you are [Finian Maynard|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finian_Maynard] (Average of 85Km/h): 18 minutes!!
- More realistic speed would be 40Km/h: 39 minutes.
Provided that the conditions are:
- Good winds
- Clear visibility
- Waves are not very high
- Proper sail size
- You don't get tired
- You keep pointing to the right direction while sailing
- No equipment breaks
- Dolphins will not make you fall off your board
I have no idea what the Saudi authorities would do if you land on their coasts.
Do you no if there is a possibillety to rent some windsurf gear in Aqaba.